Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Defending My Own

There has been a lot of media attention on Paula Deen in the media in recent weeks. Now I consider her primarily as a cook and not a chef. Being born in South Carolina I recognize her as a very good cook. Having read the deposition of the lawsuit pending against her, I cannot see how what she said created such a furor.
Now a lot of , which are being politically correct, have dropped her from their affiliation. I for one, am aghast at the unmitigated gall of these companies. So what you will hear from me is how these companies have benefited me personally in the past. Take note, these are only my opinions.

The Food network was the first to drop her after many years of faithful service. Thank you Food network for being the watchdog over my morality and conscience. I do not think I could have done it without you. The second to drop her was Smithfield meats. That really distressed me the way she had tried to promote their brands. In a statement, the company said it "condemns the use of offensive and discriminatory language and behavior of any kind. Therefore, we are terminating our partnership with Paula Deen." Of course I know that recently they have been sold to foreign interests which do not represent the South as I

Ballentine Books which published her cookbooks said: The publisher said Friday it would not release "Paula Deen's New Testament: 250 Favorite Recipes, All Lightened Up," which was scheduled for October and was the first of a five-book deal announced early last year.

Read more: 
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/06/28/sears-drops-paula-deen/#ixzz2XsWpfDr8

The truth is that her cookbook coming up was enough to top Amazons best seller list. Their loss I suppose because someone else will surely pick it up. Me included.

Walmart, Target, Ceasars, QVC, Kmart, Penny's, and Sears have followed suit in dropping her brand. On one occasion or another I have had qualms with all of these stores.


Political correctness is the scourge of America. I will not, and cannot, continue in good conscience to follow these companies and give them my money. Their argument holds no water. I have read the deposition and not found it to contain anything that warrants this kind of fallout. Paula Deen is being railroaded and unjustly so. I plan to buy her books and support her because the simple fact is...she cooks better than most of us can. Now isn't that what I want in a cookbook?

No comments:

Post a Comment