Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Dearly Beloved

The day I got married was a happy day in my life. That day, I slept until noon! :) I was working a swing shift and I was adjusting to being off for a few days from the night shift. Usually I could make this transition pretty well but this time it took a couple of days. I woke up that day with a lot of happiness and didn't have a care in the world. I had to be at the church at 5:00 PM and the wedding would start at 6:00 PM. So what does a bachelor do on his last day? He wastes time doing a lot of nothing. I did this well until about 4:00 then I realized that I had forgotten to buy the bridal bouquet. "Oh No!" was the first thing out of my mouth. I called the florist to see what time they close on Saturday and they said 4:30. I said, "Could you do me a favor and see me at 4:45?" I told them my situation and they laughed at me, but did agree to this. They put this little bouquet of daisies and roses together for me in about 20 minutes. It was very nice but I had to pay through the eye teeth for it because of my forgetfulness. I also kept them after their normal hours. It was then that I was aware that the time was now 5:15. I noticed that I was starting to wring my sweaty hands.

"OK Khris, time to get it in gear!" So the church was about 20 minutes away at this point. I was dressed and had the bouquet and got there at about 5:45. The traffic didn't cut me any slack. So now I have this bouquet and give it to the bridesmaid and they take it back to my future wife. The preacher, my best man, and I all go into this little room in the back. "Man am I glad that's over!" Then these two proceed to tell me how it isn't over and what to expect. The preacher had laryngitis from a virus and was barely able to speak. About then my legs started to shake. The shaking happened right before the hyperventilation. I haven't been nervous the entire day and all of a sudden, I am terrified! The next thing I knew, it was time to stand at the altar. We proceed out and everything has begun. I was sweating, my knees were shaking and I was just a nervous wreck! My brother was my best man and I could see him smile at me. That was encouraging! He used to only smile at me before he beat me up! How comforting! The music started and I saw my bride. She was the most beautiful sight that I had ever seen in my life. She had the bouquet that I had almost forgotten and her father was walking her toward me. I remember the vows and I remember the introduction of the new couple to the congregation, but most everything else is a blur. The associate pastor had to deliver the final prayer because the preacher had lost all of his voice just after he pronounced us man and wife. I also remember seeing my car as we left the church. It was pretty well made up. All sorts of things written on it and all manner of debris on it. That did not really bother me, it was a Ford and not really a good looking one. This was an improvement actually! :)

Now my bride had woke up at 6:00 AM on the day of our wedding. She had a million things to do before the wedding. She had a lot of family in from out of town and it was very chaotic for her. By the time we got to her apartment after the reception, she was exhausted. For that matter I was too. I would like to say it was a very romantic evening but we were both so wasted from nerves and everything else that we just slept. We had relatives and well wishers over until almost midnight. She had this little twin size bed and we both tried to sleep in it. When I woke up, she was on the floor. She told me there just wasn't room on the bed for both of us. So much for the romantic wedding night. One thing is for sure. It was truly a memorable day for a lot of other reasons. :)

6 comments:

  1. When I married my first wife we spent our honeymoon night at my parents sleeping on a three quarter size mattress over a single bed, she cried all night as it was her first night away from her parents.
    I was glad to get back to sea and my hard bunk on the boat. ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful memories. Lucky for you that the florist was able to help you out. The wedding picture is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I think I would have preferred the sea to a crying wife on may wedding night! Thanks for stopping by Donald.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it was pity rather than luck Laura. I can really be pitiful when I am trying to get may way. Just ask my wife! :)My wife only had this old Kodak disc camerea. Do you remember them? The negatives were only the size of a pencil eraser. This was the only camera that we had there that night. I am glad that camera was there or we would have no wedding pictures at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Khris, your story reminds me of something similar that happened to us on our wedding day. We were running around town, in L.A. in fact, a town we did not know well. At one point we stopped at a Lucky's supermarket and decided to use their copier to make extra copies of our marriage license. Well, we forgot the original at the store. The pastor said we could go through the motions but without the original we wouldn't really be legally married. So my husband got out of his uniform and he and the best man took off to find the store--who knew there were so many Lucky's in town. We were married about 2 hours later and have been since 1990--oh how time flies. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really wild! Things like that are only funny now because things worked out and the passage of time. Your story has more drama to it though. I am truly glad that I wasn't in charge of the marriage license. Thank goodness for that!:) I am glad things worked out for you guys. I hope you have many, many more happy years together! Thanks for dropping by today!

    ReplyDelete