Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The journey

Today I wanted you update everyone on my continuing saga of losing weight.  I started walking a couple of months ago and I have regained my wind and my distance.  I have to admit that I haven't been the most faithful at sticking to the program.  I am going about twice a week instead of everyday.  I am going to have to change that part.  There is something therapeutic that happens inside of your head after you walk the first mile.  I have in the last couple of months lost about 10 pounds which is just OK considering that the last time I started walking, I lost 30 pounds in a little over a month.  That was 15 years ago though. I really wish that I had maintained what I had then with some exercise.   Hindsight is 20/20 though.  I am not starving myself this time either.  I eat pretty much my normal diet and cut out the second portions.  I have eliminated any drinks and most food containing sugar which is probably a good thing.  I am drinking only water, coffee and green tea.  The occasional diet soda.  I mean the very occasional diet soda!  I don't particularly like the taste of the sweetener they use for those.  I think I can keep up with these kind of changes on a permanent basis.  That is what I think it will take to keep the weight from returning like it did the last time.

I can't say that after losing only 10 pounds I have those ripped abs of steel!  Not even a 6 pack to be seen.  I suppose my belly resembles more of a 2 liter bottle of soda covered with a shirt.  I think I will keep it covered with the shirt for just right now. :) However, something is going on with my body.  I notice that I am able to wake a little quicker as of late.  I have a little more spring in my step.  I know that my attitude is better!  Right now I am going to put on my walking shoes and go out while the morning sun is shining.  So I will continue this little adventure of mine in another month or two to let you all know where I am at with this. 

10 comments:

  1. Walking is such great exercise. You shouldn't worry about how quickly you take the weight off. They say that if you do it in a slow steady manner it's apt to stay off. Congratulations to you for being so diligent in your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right of course, Laura. You know I was thinking of you and your walking as I was writing this. I will try to be patient with this. I really want to keep the weight off this time. I am glad that you took the time to come today. I really look forward to your visits here! I hope that you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes on these diets the body just levels off and stays put awhile as it gets used to the change. Don't let it throw you. Keep at it. We want you around for a long time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sort of like hanging around myself. :) I thought that slow and steady would be a better way to go this time. I just have to keep my head focused on my goal. Thank you for stopping by this evening! I appreciate your comments and your concern. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are experiencing the middle age reality check...I am 49 and I face it too! My best advice is, once you get to the weight that makes you feel good, don't give yourself any more than a 5 pound window. Once you gain 5 , lose them. That way the battle is short and less painful! And may you enjoy Gods presence as you walk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really sound advice Cynthia. I wish I had heard from you a couple of years earlier. :) I am going through sort of a mid life thing right now. There are so many changes happening. I have to be on top of my game if I want to succeed. There is quite a lot of prayer that goes on as I walk. Where I live is remote and very peaceful. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Lord bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Khris! I think walking is as good for the mind as it is for the body. It is relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Tina! It is relaxing as long as I do it at the time of day when we have no traffic. I appreciate you coming by. You take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been carrying a swimming trunk in my briefcase for almost 2 years. It hasn't touched water. Yet.

    Your article about walking is a great inspiration. If I still can't make it to the pool in 3 months, I'll try walking in the swimming trunk instead.

    Will keep you posted (in 3 months).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't even have a pair of swimming trunks yet. :) If I had a pool I would do that as well as my walking. Swimming is one of the best low impact workouts you can do. I just don't want to hear all of the whale jokes right now. Walking is a peaceful way to get into shape and it helps clear the mind. I appreciate your comments. I hope that you get into those trunks soon!

    ReplyDelete