Thursday, March 19, 2009

Music to my ears.

One summer day, when I was young, I saw a man (about 20 years old) with a guitar sitting against a tree with 2 women beside him. One girl on each side as he was sitting against a tree. They were captivated by this man, listening intently to him. The next month, I had a guitar. I worked at this infernal device for 2 years before I could carry a tune with it. I was about 15 years old at that time. Over the years my guitar has been a source of comfort and amusement to me. If you ask "Were you any good?" I would have to say "Not very." I was okay as far as self taught guitar players go. Had a good ear and could carry a tune and such. Never thought I should quit a day job for it.

The guitar that I have now is a Martin acoustic. I was given this guitar by Jesus, and nothing will ever sway my mind from that. I was supposed to play in a church that Sunday and the money for it came on a Saturday, quite unexpectedly. I played that thing for the next 3 years. In 2005 I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, which is an insidious auto-immune disease that affects the joints in your body. My own immune system was attacking my feet, hands, knees and shoulders. I haven't played since. Surely what the Lord gives, He has the right to take away and I have no problem with that. Still I wondered if I would ever be able to pick it up again. However, in the last few months, I have changed medications and doctors. Things have improved to the point that I may try to pick it up again. I made a promise that I would use that guitar to the Glory of God! If I am able to play it, that is what I will do.

So soon, I will try to pick that guitar up and give it another go. Wish me well! I plan to use it for it's original purpose. Will I be any good this time? "Not very." :) Never claimed to be any good at it folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment