Friday, April 24, 2009

Gardening and Pests

I just love this time of year! When winter breaks, I get outside with my pruners and garden tools and just have a good old time! I like to see the leaves return to the trees and the feel of the warm sun. I enjoy tilling up the ground and I love the smell of freshly turned soil. Perhaps, I would have made a fair farmer. I always keep my shirt on when I am outside, unlike when I used to live on the farm, because I try to be modest in public. I also want to keep the Shamu jokes down to a minimum. ;)


I have lived where I am now for about 5 years and it has been a real chore trying to garden. The plots where the houses are built were bulldozed to clear trees and the topsoil was taken as a result. Getting red clay to do what you want it to do is not the easiest thing in the world. Every time I see a tree service working on a yard nearby, I roll down my window and ask where they will be taking the mulch. Most companies have to pay to take it to the landfill, so they are glad just to come a few miles and drop it off at my house. I let it sit until the next season while it composts. My neighbors love me! :)


The only thing that I don't like about the area that I garden is the pests. Deer tend to like roses and I have to surround them with plants that deer don't like. Another problem is black widow spiders. I have gardened all of my life and I never recall seeing a place with the number of black widows around here. The other day I took one of the roses that I had rooted from a cutting out of the pot. This black widow came running across my hand but didn't stop to take a bite. I can't get away with not using gloves from here on out. Really bad what black widows can do to you. You can only take the anti-venom once in your life, or so I am told. I was also told that copperheads were really numerous in this area before all of the houses were built. I don't like snakes. So I keep a really sharp lookout for copperheads and cottonmouths. They are the only poisonous snakes that we have around here. They are on my mind when I mow for the most part.

Anyway, I plan to make use of some pretty unorthodox gardening techniques this year to keep me out of the brush as much as possible. I hopefully will have something to share if it is successful. The first flush of roses should start in about a week or so. Most of them are pretty small right now, but I hope to post some pictures when they start. Until then, sleep tight! Don't let the spiders bite!

6 comments:

  1. I used to have a problem with ants on my roses. I always had a fear of picking a few to put in a vase indoors. I keep remembering as a child I picked one and out came a community of this pests. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always good to check whatever you bring inside from the yard or garden. I even brought in a bee one time without knowing. I have the ants here too, I just forgot about them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Khris,
    Clay is my enemy in my area as well. Every year I try so hard to get things growing and they do but the water doesn't seem to stay long, even after a week long rain season, 2 days later my plants are thirsty for more so I have to water more than I care to if I want them to succeed. Not crazy about the critters, however mine are not as deadly as yours. I love your blog. Will visit again soon. Good luck with your garden this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The clay really is bothersome isn't it? Since I started composting, it is getting a little better. My plants have to be watered often too. I may never get away from that. Really glad that you stopped by. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Copperheads, black widow spiders and ants, Oh My!
    That would be enough to switch this organic farmer to Home Depot for the strongest insecticide I could buy. You are a lot braver than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really more afraid of the snakes than I am of the spiders. If I have my gloves on, I just smack the spiders. Snakes take offense when you smack them. :)

    ReplyDelete