Friday, April 3, 2009

Goodbye to a friend

Earlier this week, while I was getting ready to take a bath, I noticed a lot of hair in the bottom of the bathtub. Now I know that it is normal to see a little now and then, but this was enough to fill the hollow of my hand! First thing I thought was, "Why is my wife losing so much hair?" I was alarmed. We have been plagued with many health problems the past few years. She has Multiple Sclerosis and I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. She also had a benign tumor removed a couple of years ago near her brain stem. So when I saw this, I guess I just thought the worst. After talking with her combined with the technical "looking in the mirror," I have discovered that it is my hair that I held in my hand. I am relieved that it is no dire heath issue. While I am very happy for her, I am really bummed out about the hair loss. I am a child of the 70's and my hair was a big part of my life. No pun intended. I would wash it, comb it, even talk to it if it messed up on me. Folks, there is a lot less to talk to or about these days. I keep it a lot shorter these days, but still try to be well groomed.

I suppose this too is part of the aging process, and somehow I will come to terms with it. Just kinda hurts to know that soon more hair will grow from my ears and nose than the top of my head. Everyone, I suppose, has a feature that they consider their best. My hair was mine. I also have resolved that I won't wear a hairpiece, no matter how tempted I am to do so. Don't want to get to be an old man and have more of me on the dresser than in the bed when I go to sleep at night.

At the current rate, I would say about 5 years, maybe sooner. Perhaps balding will provide that distinguished look for me. I hope so, and time will tell. To my hair I have some final words: au revoir old friend, au revoir.

7 comments:

  1. Well the good thing is you can have somewhat of some humor about it au revoir. Also some of the sexiest men are bold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you will be fashinable at least or worst be taken for a football fan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am about 12 years further down the hair-loss road and the only minor annoyance is making sure both cars always have a hat inside. And as your fine new blog shows, you know that God’s grace seems to increase each day — especially in times of silence.

    I am happy knowing who has numbered all those hairs (Matthew 10:30) — which was not just a metaphor or hyperbole — God likes counting them as he puts them in and then again as he takes them away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your attitude.
    Agree with Grumpy. Just change sides from watching Tom Cruise flicks to Bruce Willis :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least your hair ends up on the floor. Parts of me are being found in places I wouldn't have ever expected...my chin on my chest, my chest...you get the idea. Thank goodness we can all keep our sense of humor or we'd lose our minds along with our looks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just happen to be passing by when I read your post. Nice post and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by! Hope you will come again sometime.

    ReplyDelete