Monday, April 13, 2009

Khris' Poetry

I have read a lot of blogs in the past month. I mean a lot! This is a whole new world to me that I never knew existed before now. What is a feed reader now? ;) For the most part, I am impressed with how well they are written. The others? That's a whole different post. I am genuinely impressed with how heartfelt you all are. Some things have been shared that have really stirred my heart, my thoughts, my very being. Since most of the readers of this will be other bloggers, I wanted to let you all know that I respect what I have read so far, and if I have commented on another person's blog, it was from my heart. Now that's the end of the serious stuff. If everyone is ready, let's have a little fun.

I have come across blogs on life, cooking, travel, philosophy, etc., etc. The blogs that I have the most difficult time understanding are the blogs on poetry. I guess I always thought that I could write poetry. In the fifth grade we were required to create a limerick. The one that I made up went like this:

There once was a guy named Slim
That wasn't very trim.
He wanted to try it,
so he went on a diet.
And that was the end of him.

Pretty cute for a fifth grader huh? The fame of that one carried me all the way through middle school. :) By the time I got to the tenth grade, I decided to come out of retirement. A friend of mine and I came up with a poem that was supposed to be the base of a song. It went like this:

When I die, bury me deep.
Put a jar of honey at my feet.
Put a big hot biscuit in my hand,
And I'll sop my way to Glory Land.

That one, took me all the way to graduation. :) I later found out that this was a rewrite of a traditional minstrel tune. This friend and I rewrote the theme from the "Beverly Hillbillies", but since this is a clean blog, and I am a Christian now, I must refrain from sharing it. After this, I retired for good except for the occasional songwriting attempts. I won't torture you with those. Needless to say, I really don't have the skill it takes to write poetry. My thought processes just don't run that deep. I truly do admire those that can do it, and I don't mean to offend those that write it. I'm just havin' a little fun. :)

I just wish that I had paid a little more attention in English class. However, I would always end up in the class with the pretty girls. If I had it to do over again, I would....definitely pay more attention to the pretty girls! :)

12 comments:

  1. lol I loved your poetry, especially the second one ... too funny! I really enjoy poetry and tried my hand at it as well and discovered ... I can't write! lol Oh well, I can still enjoy the skill of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, that last comment was by me, Khris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie (aka fruitcake)April 13, 2009 at 9:40 AM

    I never could get the hang of poetry, but admire those who do it well...my passion was always creative writing. I could never write a poem that I was truly satisfied with, but I think your poems are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jamie. I think you are just being modest. You are one of the best writers I know. Period. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are still writing good interesting stuff its one blog I look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Donald. I enjoy yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I really appreciate everything you have said about mine and I am glad you enjoy it enough to return to it.
    As I said I look forward to your next installment.
    Cheers.
    Donald.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it funny, the way we hold onto little nuggets of humor or comfort when we were young and in school. When I was in college I had this one one my desk, "When The Lord closes a door, He always opens a window." I have heard it often since then, but believe me, it got me through some tough times, especially final exams!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your poetry...I like writing the poetry and the novel, but my English is bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never argue with what gets us through those tough school years ...the poetry was great! I hope you shared it with some of those pretty girls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Eva. I never pass up an opportunity to share with the pretty girls. :) However, my wife is the prettiest girl to me now.

    ReplyDelete