Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Love Story

When I was 23 years old, I had not dated for a couple of years. I was just tired of the routine, and to be honest, not finding anyone that suited me. When I would find someone that I liked, they had issues with me for one reason or another. Sometimes the parents didn't approve of me. Sometimes they would meet someone they liked better. This kind of thing gets very old! Very fast! So I just stopped dating altogether. Still lonely, dejected and just not happy about a lot of things in general, I picked up the newspaper. In the classified section there was this small advertisement about a computer dating service called "Dateline". Now I had seen these ads before and told myself that I didn't need that sort of thing. Matter of fact, I had seen those ads for quite some time now. Just a small 3 line ad. No bells or whistles or anything. For some reason, I had this strong desire to find out more about this place and I mailed them for an application. About a week later I got the application and filled it out and sent in the $25 fee. They claimed to match you up with someone according to your likes and dislikes, faith, and all kinds of criteria. I was honest when I answered, but didn't really think they could find someone for me within the 100 mile radius that I had chosen. Turned out I was right. They found 3! :) I lived near Honea Path, SC and there was one woman in Gaffney, one in Columbia and another in Lexington just outside of Columbia. Pretty good for 25 bucks! I was planning to make my calls the next day and get the normal rejection kind of thing that I had grown so fond of. Turns out, one of them called me first. It was the one from Lexington, SC. I was surprised how pleasant she sounded. She was intelligent and very well spoken. I was impressed and we soon set up our first date.


One Saturday in October, I went down to see her. I got lost about 5 miles from her house and had to find a pay phone. She gave me directions and soon I was there. We talked for a while and I took her to lunch. By this time I was thinking, "What a bargain for 25 bucks!" We spent the day walking and talking and laughing. I really liked this woman. We spent all day together and after supper I took her home. I had a long drive ahead of me so I kissed her goodnight. She actually kissed me back! Most women didn't usually kiss on a first date. Most guys will always try though. It was worth trying! This was the opposite of rejection! How did that happen? I don't really remember too much about the drive home except for this floating feeling I had all the way home. I was infatuated with her at that point, not in love. That came a few months later. When it happened, it just kind of sneaked up on me. Strange thing is that I never heard from the other 2 ladies that Dateline had set me up with, nor could I ever get in contact with them. That never bothered me. Really, I believe that our meeting was preordained. Anyway, I got the one that mattered. Now I believe, with all of my heart, that there is someone for everyone. It is a far better thing to have what you need rather than what you want. I am very blessed that I got both! I do not believe in luck at all. I believe in providence!

This computer date has since become my wife, the mother of our daughter, and all that I could ever want or desire. I think that I truly got the best of the deal. I got her and she only got me, and I can be a difficult person to be with at times. Even though our meeting was unconventional, it was meant to be. I love her with all that I am. I told that to a dear friend of mine this past week. It is more true today than it was yesterday, but not as much as it will be tomorrow. And it only cost me 25 dollars! :)

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story. I too believe that there is someone for everyone. I have a friend who does the online dating and she has meet nothing but scum. I will let her know about you and that there will be that special someone that can come onlong on online dating. Even though yours was the newspaper ad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this was in 1984 before the online thing took off. The blurry picture was taken at a plantation in Charleston, SC. This was probably my favorite post so far. Thanks for the kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a beautiful story and inspiring as well.

    ReplyDelete