Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Job Hunt

I am going to share something personal today. At present, I have been unemployed just a little over two months now. This job hunting thing really stinks! I live in an area that has an 11.5% unemployment rate, and I am not the youngest or brightest person in the job market. I am, however, resourceful enough to know what strengths I possess. I have long since settled down and am not ever late for work or bad about being absent. Still, it is tough to go out there day after day and look for work and get rejection after rejection. A demoralizing process at best.

I used to work in the weave room of a textile mill. It was what my father did before me, and what my brother did as well. One out of every four people in South Carolina was directly employed or received their support from textiles in the early 1970's. I worked at this type of job from the time I was 16 years old until I was 40 years old. Not many textile mills around now folks. Most of those jobs have long since been exported. I did finally find a job after age 40 as an electroplater for a company in the packaging industry. Electroplating was neat work! I got to work with chemicals, perform analysis, and it sure was interesting to see steel turn to copper right before your eyes! It was great fun right up until the company I worked for closed. Still I am sure there is the "perfect job" out there for me. Not being facetious here, I really mean that! If I keep looking and hold fast to my faith, I really believe things will be all right. I think it is more of an issue of timing than anything else at the moment.

I hope this hasn't turned into a downer kind of post. It just happens to be on my mind at the moment. The work that I have done in the past is wonderful to remember, but it is a memory. Lots of work to yet be done! There is pavement to pound and contacts to be made. Never let it be said of me that I did not try. Whatever life throws at us can be overcome. I believe that with all of my heart. I just happen to wear that heart on my sleeve today. You would never have believed that I read Othello, would you? :)

7 comments:

  1. Othello!... I've been in your shoes, but I haven't been descend so low :-)
    Everything's gonna be allright! I'm acceding with Bob Marley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the job hunt goes well. I'm sure that something will eventually turn up. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I do know things will be OK. I just had to do a little venting. :) Appreciate the kind words. You guys are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason. Perhaps the last job had to disappear to create room for the more interesting, satisfying job that exists for you. Just be out there so that it will find you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do too Nona. I am sure this will work out for good. I will be out there. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep praying,believing,thanking Jesus for the job He is going to give you,and the Lord will give you a job. His timing is not our timing, but He is always on time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Kay. You are right, of course. His timing is always perfect.

    ReplyDelete